Xylitol Poisoning in Dogs – Symptoms and Treatments

Xylitol Is Poison For DogsXylitol is a natural sweetener.  It’s a sugar alcohol with a sweetness comparable to sugar. When dogs eat a food that contains Xylitol, it is more quickly absorbed into their bloodstream than in yours, causing a release of pancreatic insulin up to 7 times more than in humans.  Within 10 to 60 minutes of eating just a small amount of Xylitol, dogs can experience dangerous insulin levels and a profound drop in blood sugar. Here is the problem…

Xylitol Can Be LETHAL For Your Dog!

Xylitol Gum Is Toxic For Dogs

Xylitol is used in many of the products that we share with our dogs — the most common being peanut butter, nut butter, gum and toothpaste. 

Symptoms of Xylitol poisoning in dogs include:

  • Vomiting
  • Decreased activity & Weakness
  • Staggering & Incoordination
  • Collapse & Seizures

Left untreated or unseen, the situation may deteriorate rapidly resulting in an immediate trip to your vet or an emergency animal hospital…or worse….

But..woof!..the good news is that Xylitol poisoning is 100% preventable.  Be vigilant, check the  ingredients for all peanut/nut butters before giving your dog a treat and use only toothpaste made for dogs.  Keep candy, baked goods and chocolate products out of your dog’s reach (they may contain Xylitol).  Lists of peanut/nut butters, toothpaste and other products that contain Xylitol are readily available online.

NOTE: Xylitol is not harmful to humans. 

For more information visit  https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer-updates/xylitol-and-your-dog-danger-paws

We hope you found this article helpful and if your dog ever gets any cuts, abrasions, ear infections or hot spots, we hope you keep Banixx Pet Care in mind. Go to our dog page to learn more about how to keep your dog happy and healthy!