My Dog Ate A Grape – What Should I Do?

August 25, 2019
dog
grapes are poisonous to dogs

Keep watch! Grapes and raisins are toxic to dogs doesn’t mean your dog is going to avoid them.

Grapes are one of nature’s little treats – literally. They’re sweet, tart, refreshing, satisfyingly fleshy, and versatile all at the same time! 

Unfortunately, while these plump little fruits are wonderful on their own or as an addition to a  salad or sangria for humans, they’re poisonous to dogs.

No, we’re not kidding. The toxicity of fresh and dried grapes (raisins) to dogs has been well documented for years now. It doesn’t matter whether the grapes they’ve had are green, red, or purple, or whether they’re seedless, seed-in, skinless, or skin-on – all grapes in all forms are bad for dogs.

But just because grapes and raisins are toxic to dogs doesn’t mean your dog is going to avoid them. Dogs are curious animals who will get into all sorts of foods (and non-foods) that they shouldn’t eat.

With that in mind, what should you do if Fido does decide to act like a Roman emperor and eat a bushel of grapes? We’re going to answer this question and more in this short article on how to treat dogs for grape poisoning below. 

What Causes Grape Poisoning in Dogs

It seems strange to even imagine grapes being harmful (besides their choking hazard). However, the reason for why grapes are poisonous to dogs is because all grapes contain high levels of tartaric acid and potassium bitartrate – two chemical compounds that dogs and other canines are especially sensitive to. 

For reasons that are still being studied, dogs who are exposed to these compounds are liable to suffer from acute renal failure among a host of other unpleasant and potentially lethal side effects. However, the amount of tartaric acid and potassium bitartrate found in grapes varies heavily depending on where they were grown, how ripe they were at harvest, and a variety of other factors. 

What Are the Symptoms of Grape Poisoning in Dogs 

dog next to some grapes

A dog’s size and breed will affect how it reacts to the amount of grapes he ingests.

It is important to note that there is no well-established toxic dose of grapes for dogs. A dog’s size and breed will affect how it reacts to the amount of grapes he ingests. Additionally, some scientists believe that a dog’s sensitivity to grapes or raisins is an individual characteristic – this would explain why some dogs can eat a handful of grapes without succumbing to poisoning while others are poisoned by eating just a few grapes or raisins. 

If your dog is suffering from grape poisoning, they may begin vomiting or having diarrhea within 24 hours ingesting. 

Grape poisoning in dogs can come with a variety of other symptoms within the first 24 hours including increased thirst and increased urination. 

If left untreated, these symptoms can evolve and lead to loss of appetite, lethargy or weakness, or decreased urination – a sign that the kidneys are shutting down.

Other symptoms include: 

  • Dehydration
  • Foul breath
  • Oral ulcers
  • Coma
  • Seizures
  • Tremors

What to Do if Your Dog Eats Grapes

don't let your dog eat grapes

If you believe you dog has eaten a grape, call your local veterinarian or Pet Poison Helpline at 855-764-7661

If you believe that your dog has eaten any amount of grapes, you must treat it as a medical emergency because that’s exactly what it is: an emergency. However, do not give in to your gut instinct and just start to induce vomiting. This is more dangerous than helpful, especially if your dog is showing signs of distress or trouble breathing. 

Call your local veterinarian or Pet Poison Helpline at 855-764-7661 to get guidance on how to proceed if your dog has eaten grapes. If you are recommended to induce vomiting at home, follow this guide to maximize its effectiveness and ensure your dog’s safety. 

  •  Step 1: If your dog has not eaten anything within the last 2 hours, offer it a small meal. Doing this increases the chances of vomiting. Please do not force the dog to eat if he’s not interested in the food. 
  •  Step 2: Using 3% hydrogen peroxide, measure 1 mL (milliliter) of hydrogen peroxide per pound of the dog’s actual weight. You use a no-needle syringe, a turkey baster, or a medicine/eye dropper. Squirt the solution into the back of the dog’s mouth. Do not EVER give your dog more than 45 mL of hydrogen peroxide, regardless of their weight.
  •  Step 3: If the dog does not vomit within 15 minutes of the first administration, you can try again using the same amounts. However, you should know that this method should not be used more than two times, especially if they are spaced within 15 minutes. 

If the dog does not vomit after the second hydrogen peroxide administration, do not use it again.  

Instead, get them to the nearest veterinarian as soon as possible. Your veterinarian’s primary focus will be to reduce the risk of grape toxins absorbed into the stomach.

What a Vet Will Do if Your Dog Has Eaten Grapes 

don't let your puppy eat grapes

Your vet will perform a series of routine laboratory tests to look for toxins.

Who would’ve thought that one little grape would lead to a vet visit? Sigh…

Well, if you’re taking your dog to the vet because they ate grapes, call the veterinarian while you’re en route to let them know you suspect your dog has grape poisoning. This will allow them to prepare for your arrival. 

Diagnosis

The veterinarian will begin treatment by formally diagnosing your dog as suffering from grape ingestion and poisoning. They will perform a series of routine laboratory tests including a biochemistry profile, blood count, and urinalysis. They will be able to see how much toxins have affected your dog’s kidneys and the next steps. 

Treatment

The treatment your veterinarian decides to employ will heavily depend on three factors.

  • The number of  grapes eaten
  • Length of time since grapes were ingested
  • The severity of the  grape poisoning

The above testing will be a vital part of treatment.

If your dog ate the grapes less than two hours ago and has not vomited yet, your vet will likely begin by inducing vomiting and washing out their stomach. Your veterinarian will then use activated charcoal to help bind and absorb grapes left in your dog’s stomach. This is similar to treating humans for alcohol poisoning. If this happens to your dog, saying he got too drunk sounds much cooler than saying he was nearly killed by a grape. Doesn’t it?

dogs can't eat grapes

Treatment will depend on number of  grapes eaten, length of time since grapes were ingested & severity of the grape poisoning.

After this, your vet may begin administering a treatment using intravenous (IV) fluid that helps remove toxins from the dog’s bloodstream by encouraging the kidneys to maintain urine production. The vet might give your dog supplemental medication to reduce vomiting. It will also help maintain healthy levels of kidney function.

If your dog’s kidneys have totally failed to the point of not producing urine, the situation becomes serious. A procedure known as hemodialysis may be applied to help your dog’s kidneys recover.  In more severe cases, a kidney transplant may be necessary. 

How to Prevent Grape Poisoning in Dogs

We know. This situation sounds pretty nightmarish (and ridiculous).

Don’t worry, the simple solution is to keep your dog from eating grapes! That means you just have to keep grapes out of reach and, if you spill some, pick them up!

Preventing your dog from getting grape poisoning is almost as easy as treating your dog’s ear or skin infections with Banixx!

Banixx For Dogs

But, until you need to use Banixx next, why don’t you do some light reading here at our blog? There’s tons of information here that can help you keep your dog happy and healthy. Here’s one of our favorites about dog bug bites (how timely, especially in summer!) or have you ever wondered about odd topics such as How long can my do go without peeing? Or why does my dog insist on drinking from the toilet? Enjoy!

dog ear infection treatment

 

 

 

Sources:

https://www.aaha.org/publications/newstat/articles/2021-04/what-causes-grape-toxicity-in-dogs-playdough-might-have-led-to-a-breakthrough/

https://vetnutrition.tufts.edu/2021/04/in-the-news-updates-on-grape-toxicity/

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/grape-raisin-and-currant-poisoning-in-dogs

https://www.petmd.com/dog/emergency/digestive/e_dg_grape_raisin_toxicity